One Room Challenge Week Three

Welcome to Week Three of the One Room Challenge.  If you missed Week One, go here and for Week Two go here to catch up. I'm grateful to be included in the ORC.  Linda, of Calling It Home, created and organized it, and I'm thrilled to be participating. The twenty bloggers seen above are redoing one room each in six weeks and posting progress every Wednesday.  My daughter and I are working together on her bedroom.

Over the weekend, I spent a lot of time working on this frame project.  This will be the frame used for the painting Kerry Steele is creating for the focal point of the room/over the bed.  If you're a TPP reader, you will be surprised to see that I did a DIY. You can see by the materials I used that I'm quite an amateur.  I used a dry cleaners bag as a drop cloth along with three different colors of Rustoleum wood floor stain that I applied with paper towels.

I found three 24x36 frames at Aaron Brothers three years ago for $10 each, and I couldn't pass them up.  I thought I'd use them painted, but for this spot, I thought "wood" worked much better. Since floor stain is transparent, the guy at Lowes thought it would work perfectly, and it did.  I actually enjoyed doing this. I set up shop in front of the TV and worked while watching Castle episodes.

So much better.

There are Malm chests on each side of the bed.

We chose these in antique brass to add some interest.  And we won't use the backplate that comes with.  There'll be two per drawer.

This photo shows the new paint (stripes gone) and shades are up. Making progress!  This paint is the same color we have in much of the house except at half strength.  

Here's the original before photo of the west wall.  My daughter has requested to not have a mirror over the dresser and instead have a gallery wall.  So that she could better explain what she wanted, I asked her to go to Pinterest and choose some examples.  She likes these and I do, too.

Emily Henderson via oh joy!

We've been very busy finding art and frames for this wall.  Besides Kerry's painting, this is what we're most excited about.  I'll show you what we have in the works next week.

This is the before photo of the south wall.  Shades are up now, and the seamstress has fabric.  We decided to keep this simple and do a white cornice and white panels with navy trim.  We also decided this would be a great spot for a work space, and a trip to IKEA is planned for the weekend.  

These are IKEA shades, and they go with the pendant lights.  I'm wanting to use the fabric I shared with you last week to cover the shades, but we thought it would be fun to try this as a backup in case we couldn't get the shades covered in time.  We used fabric dye and syringes, and it was so much fun!  Pink was our first attempt, then we tried blue. We had a blast doing this, but it's just not hitting the mark for this room.  So, several hits this week and one miss.  But, a miss can be fun and entertaining when you're trying something new and spending time with your daughter!  

Now, go check out these amazing and crazily busy ladies:

Popular posts from this blog

Blue and White Monday: Art

2014 Fall One Room Challenge || Final Week

Blue and White Monday: Curb Appeal